The immune system is body’s defensive mechanism that fights against infections. However, compromised immunity reduces the body’s capability of protecting us from infections and makes us fall sick often. While some factors such as age and genetics are non-modifiable risk factors for having low immunity, other lifestyle factors can be modified in order to boost immunity.
- Choose Your Diet WiselyVegetables and fruits are rich in phytonutrients, antioxidants, fibers, vitamins and other essential nutrients that show immune- modulating properties. You may include poultry and fish in your daily diet, but cut down on red meat, butter and margarines.
- De-Stress YourselfBeing under too much stress releases certain chemicals in the body that affect the white blood cells and weakens our immunity. Try to de-stress by doing things you enjoy. Try a de-stressing massage at a spa
- Stay ActiveExercise increases the movement of antibodies and white blood cells throughout the body, which acts to reduce your susceptibility to infections.
- Limit Alcohol IntakeExcessive alcohol consumption may suppress immunity and increase susceptibility to certain infections. Alcohol consumption is an extremely unhealthy way to mange stress.Try these healthy ways to de-stress.
- Avoid SmokingResearch suggests that the tar and nicotine present in cigarette can lower the immunity of body. The temporary stress relief that you get after a smoke is merely due to psychological reasons or distractions. Avoid this unhealthy way of de-stressing.
- Consume Green Tea EverydayGreen tea is a rich source of antioxidants, known to protect against oxidative stress that can damage cells. The antioxidants in green tea are also beneficial in strengthening the immune system.
- Take Ayurvedic Massage RegularlyAyurvedic Massage increases the blood circulation causing increase in white blood cells. This boosts the immune system and improves resistance power of the body to fight against various bacterial and viral infections.