It is a staple spice of every Indian dish, finds a special place in Indian weddings, and is getting an international recognition! Turmeric is the super spice and we can avail all the benefits it offers in many smart ways.
Here are some skin care DIY recipes.
1. Turmeric Age reversal Mask
Curcumin, the yellow pigment in the turmeric is responsible for the antioxidant property of the spice. Curcumin’s antioxidant power fights the free radicals that speed up the process of skin ageing.
If you have noticed any early signs of skin ageing such as fine wrinkles especially round your eyes and lips, or dryness, make the following mask a part of your daily skin routine.
- 1 table spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon of rose water
- 2-3 drops of almond oil (you can also use full almond and grind it to fine paste)
- Mix all the ingredients and make a thick mask. Apply to your face and keep for 15 to20 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
Rose water causes cooling effects whereas almond oil restores lost moisture from the skin.
2. Turmeric Body polish
Turmeric is an important ingredient of Ubtan, a mixture of herbal ingredients such as turmeric, saffron, sandalwood, bengal-gram, besan, seeds of yellow mustard, etc. These coarsely powdered herbal ingredients gently exfoliate the skin and remove layers of dead skin. The scrubbing action along with massage improves the texture of skin and leaves it soft.
- 1 table spoon each of turmeric, sandalwood, besan, saffron, etc.
- Add 1 to 2 table spoon of milk or yogurt and make into a coarse paste that can be applied over the body.
- Gentle massage to exfoliate the skin
- Take bath with luke warm water
3. Turmeric Acne Pack
Turmeric is a potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. It is one of the best natural treatments for fighting acne.
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon of sandalwood powder (It is best to use sandalwood stick and roll it by adding water to get smooth paste)
- 1 tablespoon of rose water
- Make a paste and apply on pimples or acne before going to bed
- Wash your face the next morning
- Do this on a regular basis to get rid of acne
Both rose extracts and turmeric are known to be active against Propionibacterium acnes, a pathogen responsible for causing acne.
Suffering from acne breakouts? Try Inflammation Reducing Facial once in a month.
4. Turmeric Skin whitening Face pack
Turmeric is one of the important skin whitening ingredient described in Ayurveda. It is known to reduce dark patches and impart glow to the skin. This spice has a timeless association with weddings in India. The Hindu weddings follow a tradition of applying Turmeric to the bride-to-be for its skin whitening benefits.
DIY Turmeric Skin whitening Face pack
- Mix 1 table spoon of turmeric powder and lemon juice to make a thick paste
- Apply to the affected area especially face, neck, elbows, etc
- Let it dry for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off with water
- You can replace lemon juice with cucumber if need be