Pain is the most bothersome symptom of stress. Be it acute or chronic it surely restricts our activities and makes us feel unhealthy. An aching back can limit you from driving long distances, knee pain does not let you run for long, neck pain cannot let you carry heavy bags and so on. Research reveals several causes of pain such as stress, low physical activity, excessive use of muscles, and wear and tear of joints. But, if we look closely there are certain routine activities or habits which may be neglected in our busy schedules, but could be the real culprits behind pain. Let’s try to find if there are some wrong lifestyle habits that are being ignored and can be fixed to prevent pain.
Wrong Habit # 1: Sleeping On a Wrong pillow
Check your pillow before you go to bed tonight. Is it too high, too stiff or too hard? Wrong pillow is often a common cause of neck pain and can also disturb your sleep.
- Choose a pillow that supports the natural curvature of the cervical region, which includes your head, neck, and shoulders.
- If you are not allergic, go for feather pillows as these can be molded to fit the shape of your head and offer less resistance than foam.
- You can go for cervical pillows that are available in various materials and shapes. These pillows add extra cushioning to support the neck and help you to prevent pain.
- Use water filled pillows to customize the density and support it provides depending on your need.
Wrong Habit # 2: Sitting in One Position For a Long Time
Sitting in one position for a long time puts too much pressure on your lower back muscles and spine, and can cause pain. Immobility can also cause the degeneration of tissue due to lack of physical stimulation.
- Get up after every 30 minutes or an hour, and move for at least 2 to 3 minutes if you have a sitting
- Stand while discussing work with colleagues
- Move while talking on cell phone at work
Did you know that back massage with wintergreen oil can effectively manage your back pain and show prolonged benefits? Try Back Massage with wintergreen oil
Wrong Habit # 3: Wearing High Heels Regularly
We are not against being stylish, but not at the expense of our health. Apart from making you uncomfortable and causing foot pain, on prolonged use high heels shoes can cause some serious effects on your health.
- If your work demands a specific type of shoe with heels, try to carry it along and wear during work times. You can wear some comfortable footwear while traveling to prevent pain.
- Slide in the soft insoles
Try relaxing Foot Reflexology Massage to cure your aching foot
Wrong Habit # 4: Carrying Heavy Bags Incorrectly
Experts suggest that carrying a bag weighing more than 10 percent of your body weight on one side can give you shoulder, neck or back pain.
- Switch sides every few minutes to prevent pain and reparative stress on one shoulder
- Use a back pack when carrying heavy things like laptop that distributes the weight evenly
Try Head-Neck Shoulder Massage to reduce pain and stiffness in shoulder
Wrong Habit # 5: Using Computer For More Than Four Hours At a Stretch
Prolonged use of computer or even watching television for a long time can cause headache, eye stress, neck pain and wrist pain. Increased screen time is also a major risk factor for overweight as it becomes a sedentary habit.
- Adjust your screen so that your eyes are in line with the top of the monitor screen
- Adjust the brightness of your computer screen and blink your eyes often to prevent pain or digital eye strain
- Take regular breaks and do some alternate work
- Don’t hold the mouse too tightly
Try Thai Massage to boost your energy levels if you have been feeling tired for no reason5 Wrong Habits That Can Lead to PainMay 25, 2015April 12, 2017